The church before we built the link
between the church and hall. The blue door in the foreground is now a window;
and the bell-cote was removed in 2011. © Philip Kapp.
Robert Martin of Manchester was
commissioned to convert the old St Barnabas Hall into a Church complex. This
plan was eventually chosen, and was drawn up in 1932.
The earliest known photograph of St Barnabas, taken in
1912. Notice there is no cross on the Church apex; no road surface; no Fleet
Ryeburne Street, Oldham The horse drawn
milk-float is Alan Lees’, of Lower Barrowshaw Farm. Alan himself delivers the
Nearby Clarksfield Road in
© Gerald England.
Annual Whit Walk in 1953. The photo was taken on the junction between
Hanson Street and Hillside Avenue.
© Graham Shaw
Oldham Borough Police officer on point duty at the junction of Crossbank
Street and Manchester Street in the 1930s or early 1940s
This image comes
from the archives of the Greater Manchester Police Museum, and is part of the
material that formerly belonged to the Oldham Borough Police. These officers
adopt a semi-formal pose typical of the time.
Page posted 25